Halloween is fast approaching and I have the simplest of recipes for you!
To me, one of the best things about the Halloween season is inviting friends over for a party and any good party requires nibbles. One of my favourite finger foods are homemade sausage rolls. A very British thing.
They take all of 10 minutes to make and blow shop bought ones out of the water. I was going to say knock them out the ball park but I think that’s one of my Americanisms coming through so thought I had best Anglify it. Either way, you get the picture – they’re awesome. This is a little Halloween twist on the traditional roll and instead of wrapping the sausage in a sheet of pastry you ‘mummify’ it.
This isn’t so much a recipe as an assembly of ingredients so there’s no excuses. Get them made!
1 Pack shop bought puff pastry
1 Pack of sausages (your choice – I always use plain pork ones)
1 Egg (beaten)
To Make Mummified Sausages:
1. Sprinkle a little plain flour onto a work surface and roll the pastry out until you have a long rectangular strip of pastry. Slice into thin strips about 1cm thick. These will be the bandages to wrap around the sausages.
2. Take the skin off of the sausages and roll the meat out in a little flour. A third of the way from the bottom of the sausage, make a slice to create two legs. Take a second sausage and cut into two. Attach these where the arms should be. This creates the body. Repeat this until you have used up all the sausages.
3. Wrap the sausage bodies in strips of pastry to look like bandages. They don’t need to be neat, higgledy piggledy works just fine for these!
4. Egg wash each of your mummies and place onto a floured baking tray and place in a preheated oven at 180C(fan oven)/350F for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden.
5. Best enjoyed fresh from the oven but still very good cold.
To Make The Traditional Recipe:
1. Sprinkle a little plain flour onto a work surface, cut your pastry into two halves and roll each half out until you have a long rectangular strip of pastry about 5mm thick and 3 inches wide.
2. Take the skin off of the sausages and roll the meat out in a little flour until roughly the thickness of your thumb.
3. Lay the sausages down the middle of the pastry strip from one end to the other, then brush the beaten egg along one edge of the pastry.
4. Fold the other side of the pastry over onto the egg washed edge and use a fork to seal. Then give the roll an egg wash.
5. Cut each of the rectangular rolls into individual sausage rolls, whatever size you like.
6. Place the sausage rolls onto a floured baking tray and place in a preheated oven at 180C(fan oven)/350F for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden.